Students report illness after consuming kangaroo meat at western Nebraska school

Students report illness after consuming kangaroo meat at western Nebraska school
World-Herald News Service

POTTER – Some of the students at a western Nebraska high school and junior high may have fallen ill after consuming chili with kangaroo meat mixed with beef last week.

News Channel Nebraska first reported the mystery meat in chili served at Potter-Dix High School and Junior High was that of the marsupial.

The school’s head cook Kevin Frei said he added the kangaroo meat for its nutritional value and because it’s a lean cut.

While it’s unknown the extent of the illnesses and whether or not they were brought on by the meal, Potter-Dix Superintendent Mike Williams fielded several complaints from concerned parents.

“I’ve heard reports of that, but like I said our statement is our statement. I’m just going to stay at that.”

Williams wrote a letter to parents on Wednesday and said the school will “no way be serving food of this nature again. Period.”

Williams had no comment on the job status of Frei.

“I’m just not going to discuss that. Like I said, our statement is our statement.”

According to KSID Radio, Frei was fired from the school district this week.

Williams says the meat, which is approved by USDA inspectors, was purchased from food and service provider, Sysco. He doesn’t think it’s unhealthy or dangerous.

Potter-Dix Schools are near Interstate 80 west of Sidney.

Follow Hunter on Twitter: @TheBurnRadio

Share:
Comments