LA VISTA, Neb. — The Sarpy County community gathered to show their support for Ryan Larsen, the 11-year-old boy who has been missing for a week and a half, and his family.
Supporters convened Wednesday evening in Central Park for an event dubbed "Rally for Ryan".
La Vista city employee Meghan Engberg was among those in attendance.
"I am here to offer my support to my fellow employees, police department, who have been searching for Ryan, and to also lend my support to the citizens of the city and to Ryan's family as well," Engberg said.
Larsen's mother did not speak at the event, but Papillion-La Vista School District Superintendent Andrew Rikli said she had asked a staff member to express "how much she appreciates the outpouring of support from the community, from the city, churches, Project Harmony, and perhaps most importantly, our first responders."
Earlier in the day, the City of La Vista announced its Salute to Summer parade and fireworks planned for Saturday and Sunday nights will be postponed. The events were scheduled for Friday and Saturday nights to free up resources in the search for Larsen. La Vista mayor Doug Kindig said he believes are focused it's “the right thing to do.”