Details emerge surrounding Norfolk hit-and-run, foot pursuit

NORFOLK, Neb. – Authorities in northeast Nebraska have released the details of events leading up to a Friday foot pursuit in Norfolk.

Shortly after 10:30 a.m. on the morning of May 25, Norfolk Police were called to an apartment in the 1800 block of Vicki Lane after a report of a professional paint sprayer worth approximately $5,000 stolen from inside a locked apartment sometime between May 19 and May 21. The apartment was being renovated at the time. At the time, the victim told police he believed 42-year-old Andrew K. Wilson, of Norfolk, was the suspect.

Three days later, Norfolk Police were called to the 2200 block of S. 1st Street for a hit-and-run accident. Upon arrival, officers learned that the victim of the theft learned that Wilson was attempting to sell the stolen sprayer on an online market.

With the aid of a third party, the theft victim arranged to meet Wilson at the 1st Street location under the guise of purchasing the sprayer. When Wilson arrived, the “purchaser” contacted the theft victim by phone, prompting him and another party to arrive in a second car.

The drivers of the two vehicles allegedly attempted block Wilson’s car from leaving, at which point Wilson struck a parking barrier and a parked vehicle in an attempt to flee the scene.

The theft victim then allegedly discharged a handgun, striking Wilson’s car. Wilson continued his attempts to leave the area, driving southbound for about four miles before crashing into a ditch and fleeing on foot.

The Nebraska State Patrol and Madison County Sheriff’s Deputies continued the search for Wilson, using the aid of drone footage.

A drone operator located Wilson, leading to his arrest. Wilson’s vehicle was impounded.

Officers applied for and was granted a search warrant to recover the sprayer from inside the vehicle. Wilson was arrested for burglary. He was housed in the Norfolk City Jail and later transferred to the Madison County Jail.

The handgun used in the incident was also secured and taken into evidence. This incident is still under investigation and full investigative reports will be submitted to the County Attorney’s office for review of any other potential charges.