FALLS CITY – The Falls City Volunteer Fire Department responded to an east 16th Street house fire just before 6 p.m. on Saturday.
Resident Colleen Langan called in the fire, which started in a trash basket in the laundry room. The fire spread to the kitchen, bathroom and living rooms.
Firefighters extinguished the fire quickly, but report significant smoke and fire damage.
Volunteer firefighters were on the scene until 10 p.m. and were called back Sunday morning when fire rekindled in the kitchen. Another hour was spent removing ceiling tile.
A fire department press release says the fire appears to have started due to improper disposal of smoking material.