KCNI/KBBN received a report of a phone call from an individual claiming to be with “Social Security”. The person states their plan has been discontinued or cancelled and that further action needs to be taken. According to the Social Security website, Social Security will never:
• Call you to demand an immediate payment;
• Demand that you pay a debt without the ability to appeal the amount you owe;
• Require a specific means of payment, such as requiring you to pay with a prepaid debit card;
• Ask you for your personal information or credit or debit card numbers over the phone; or
• Threaten you with arrest or deportation.
Please help spread the word in our community that this is a scam! Remember to never give out personal information to these phone calls.