An eagle found last month sick from lead poisoning was released today after being rehabbed by a Nebraska raptor group.
The bird was found in a cornfield near Hampton, Nebraska. The eagle was so sick it could not fly, said Molly Mullen, spokeswoman for Fontenelle Forest Raptor Recovery center near Elmwood.
She said eagles can develop lead poisoning by ingesting lead shot or bullets in carcasses of dead animals they feed on. Eagles can also develop lead poisoning by eating fish that have ingested lead fishing sinkers.
The bird was released at the Pioneer Trails Recreation Area, near where it was found. Mullen said the raptor group believes the eagle has a mate, so releasing it near where it was found makes it easier for the birds to reunite.
She said the eagle is now strong and will do well back in the wild.
She’s “back to fighting shape for sure,” Mullen said.