BROKEN BOW— “We are well ahead of most communities in the state of Nebraska,” Mayor Rod Sonnichsen spoke on the Get Up and Go Breakfast Show on Thursday, March 19 and assured the public that the measures of closing schools and reducing gatherings to less than ten people are necessary for stopping the spread of COVID-19.
Earlier in the week, the City of Broken Bow issued an emergency declaration to release funds to the city, if it is needed.
While there are currently no cases of COVID-19 in Custer County, Mayor Sonnichsen said that there are really two things to do when dealing with COVID 19: “Curve the contamination and protect our health care systems.”
“Right now the restrictions might seem excessive to a few people but they are not,” said Mayor Sonnichsen.
Mayor Sonnichsen also said that these restrictions will help in keeping Broken Bow, Custer County, and the United States ahead of the virus and prevent the types of situations that occurred in China and Italy.
While social distancing is being practiced with the closures of city offices and the Broken Bow Public Library, the Mayor said that city departments are fully functioning and continue to work due to already being semi-isolated.