The Nebraska Grazing Lands Coalition, Nebraska Extension, Nebraska Cattlemen and Sandhills Task Force present:
PROTECTING THE LAST GRASSLANDS
Winning Strategies for Woody Encroachment Featuring Dirac Twidwell UNL Associate Professor Rangeland and Fire Ecology.
Dirac Twidwell is a Science Advisor for the USDA NRCS, Great Plains region, and a national science team member for a new Great Plains Grasslands Strategy under the Working Lands for Wildlife Program.
Dirac’s presentation will include:
- Woody encroachment-national threat to range, and sustainability
- Nebraska Sandhill’s ranked #2 globally as viable grassland region on Earth
- Intact grasslands less vulnerable to encroachment by Eastern Red Cedar (ERC)
- ERC encroachment poses new threats to Nebraska’s Livestock industry
- New Earlier warning tools and tracking the economic loss
- Past approaches versus new scientific solutions and winning strategies
The program also includes presentations from NGLC Burn Coordinators Doug Whisenhunt and Alex Petersen plus local ranchers that have experience using prescribed fire. There will be a no-cost meal provided. Students and local FFA chapters are encouraged to attend.
Must pre-register by Friday, November 6 to reserve a meal by calling the UNL Extension office for each location. For more information, contact Ron Bolze, NGLC 402-321-0067, email@example.com
FOUR DATES & LOCATIONS:
Monday, November 9, 2020, 9:30 AM-3 PM CST at the Community Center Bloomfield, NE. Contact: Ben Beckman, Nebraska Extension-Cedar County-402-254-6821.
Tuesday, November 10, 2020, 9:30 AM-3 PM CST at the Loup County Ag Society Community Center, Taylor, NE. Contact: Steve Niemeyer, Nebraska Extension-GLW Counties-308-346-4200.
Thursday, November 12, 2020, 9:30 AM-3 PM CST at the Thomas County Fairgrounds, Thedford, NE. Contact: TL Meyer, Nebraska Extension-Central Sandhills-308-645-2267.
Friday, November 13, 2020, 9:30 AM-3 PM MST at the Crossroads Wesleyan Church, Imperial, NE. Contact: Erin Laborie Nebraska Extension-Furnas County-308-268-3105.